Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The 'Gut'

Earlier, I was thinking about my travels around the world, trying to 'recall' something I could share and entertain you and not bore you and I came to the conclusion, I would probably need to write a book LOL to be able to share all the experiences that I at least feel are noteworthy and worth sharing! It seems that each country had its own 'theme' to remember and sometimes, undoubtedly you would have had to been there and a part of it, at least to appreciate in the same way that I did. Since the times are past and the occasions but a memory, I try to make them interesting. Probably one of the countries that I have been to the most is Spain.

Often this was the first country we 'hit' after crossing the Atlantic, making our way to the Mediterranean Ocean and points further after leaving our home port of Norfolk VA. It is a very diverse country with much to offer and it is a major bummer to me that I did not spend more time enjoying the culture and all that the country had to offer. As a 'young man' and as it was most always our first and last port a call – after leaving the states and before returning, it was often all about the party! Still the same, there are many stories, some of them interesting associated with the place.

One of the places we visited often was Palma Spain, in the region known as Costa del Sol – the Coast of the Sun. The time to travel across the Atlantic, was one week. After leaving home port, the need and desire for 'relaxation and recreation' were very much needed and desired by many of the 5000 men aboard the ship, many of them 'young' and in many ways Palma, was 'great' as just the place to 'let off steam' before we traversed further to take up station in the Mediterranean Sea, the Red Sea, the Indian Ocean even.

There were 'mild' portions of the city, but still they offered 'rest and relaxation' or more so alcohol and women, which were two of the primary concerns, or so it seemed, to many! Within the city was an area known as 'the Gut,' the red light district, which offered 'anything and everything' a person might want. There was only one occasion that I visited the 'Gut,' mainly out of curiosity, to see what it was 'all about.' Now on this particular adventure, I decided to visit the area with my 'buddy' of the time, Ken, a more 'senior' individual – all of about maybe five or six years older, but who had been in the Navy for several more years and in many ways seemed more wise. Now Ken was a bit of 'heavy drinker,' maybe even an alcoholic on some scales.

All the same, he was a shipmate, my supervisor in the office I worked in and someone who held knowledge and wisdom of some things, so with all of this, I agreed to accompany him to explore the 'Gut.' Now one of the things that Ken and I shared was a 'passion' for music and we often shared and exposed one another to new forms and genres. One of Ken's favorites was the Doors – almost to the point of being an obsession it seemed sometimes! On the night I had agreed to go to the 'Gut,' it was also the first night of 'liberty call' which required the wearing of our dress uniform assure, making us 'easily' identifiable as U.S. Sailors.

As we entered the 'Gut' it was apparent that it was an older part of the city for more reasons than one. Perhaps the most obvious was the architecture. Also though, it was the 'party' atmosphere that one felt immediately upon entering the 'Gut.' Though I have never been to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, that is the closest thing I can relate it to, in some ways based on my experiences with Mardi Gras in other places. The two story buildings, with the shops below and apartments above and 'tons' of people in the streets and 'hanging' from the windows! It was quite 'festive' in many ways. Of course the arrival of the 'fleet' especially an aircraft carrier and the battle group and the 'throng' of men it brought, often caused quite the festivities! LOL Horney, thirsty and adventurous 'dumb' young men – with pockets 'full of money.' What better reason to 'party?'

Almost immediately upon 'entering the Gut' the music of the Doors reached our ears and of course, being thirst and anxious for the first beer, the sounds of the bar made it a 'natural' place to make the first 'watering hole' of the night! Grabbing my arm and insisting that we go inside, Ken took my arm and proceed to 'drag me' towards the sound of the music. Proceeding up the stairs, he announced he needed to go to the 'head' [men's room] and that I should go to the bar and order 'us' a couple of cerveza, while he went to the head. With his departure to the 'back' of the bar towards the head, I made my way to the bar and placed my order for a couple of beers. Let me tell you, it did not take more than a second to realize this was not the type of bar I wished to 'hang' in all night drinking. Turning my back to the bar and leaning against it to 'sip' on my beer, I looked around the place and noticed the sparsity of people in the establishment, especially women, there were none!

Now I am not homophobic, quite actually some of my best friends in life have been gay and lesbian, bisexual or other things. Even before this experience, a number of my friends were 'gay,.' When I was 'young' 'gay bars' where actually somewhere I 'hung' out with my friends at times. The one thing though, almost all I encountered 'knew' and did not try to influence or coerce, which is my preference and belief! This was not the way it was in this establishment! Come on, we were in the 'Gut,' the 'fleet' was in and it was all about the money!

Well while Ken was 'away' to the head and I stood waiting 'enjoying' my beer, I was made offers, not once but twice. Despite the language barrier, it was pretty obvious what the offers were! Not for me thank you! As I stood at the bar, Ken emerged from the 'head' and made his way to where I stood. As he reached for his beer sitting on the bar, I began making my way to the door! Grabbing my arm, Ken 'pulled' me back to the bar and wanted to know where I was going and why! LOL now Ken was, or seemed to be homophobic and upon my telling him the type of establishment we were in, he was in a bigger hurry than me! Still a 'full' beer was enticement enough to prompt him to stay for a moment and at least finish it!

Acquiescing , I agreed to stay and finish the one beer, which I had all ready bought and paid for, before we left. That was probably the fastest I ever drank a beer in my life. Before the last gulp, I was heading towards the stairs to make my way to the street below and the 'rest of the Gut!'

No comments:

Post a Comment