Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Ring of Fire

After awaking from my nap, it was time to get ready and 'head to town' to take in the sights, sounds, pints, people ~ pubs and karaoke!  Now there was undoubtedly, a great deal to see and do in Glasgow and I wanted to experience it all, or as much as I could! The great thing about visiting this time, was to be along with Ed.  That he was a Scot, and thoroughly versed in the history of the country, it made for a even more interesting trip than if I had been a tourist visiting!  I t definitely provided a different more detailed view and understanding of the city and country!

Awake, dressed and out of the house, the first order of business was a pint to quench our thirst.  Drinking seemed to be a big past time, or at least from my experience.  As we made our way to the first pub, in Glasgow, we walked - yes, walked that in itself a strange feelings.  The general accepted mode of transportation though seemed to be by foot, taxi or public transportation.  Almost always reluctant to take a taxi in the U.S, for fear of the cost, such was not the case at all in Scotland.  Still though, we 'hoofed' it via feet through town.  

The architecture was amazing to say the least!  The ornate sculptures on the sides of buildings, unlike anything to be seen back in States.  There seemed to be history on every street corner and in between!  Without a doubt, Ed was a great and knowledgeable 'tour guide' but just as importantly he new where all the pubs were as well!  While we sat enjoying our pint, discuss ensued as to where and what we should see.  The decision was the University of Glasgow and the The Hunerian, the oldest museum in Glasgow!  Now it seemed strange to travel all the way to Scotland to 'just' visit a museum!  Wow, the thought that comes to mind, first and foremost!  It was awesome and a whole other string of adjectives to describe it!

After visiting and touring the museum, it was time for - yep you guessed it - more beer!  The rest of the afternoon we spent walking around going from pub to pub, taking in the sights as we made out way along.  As night progressed we ended up in an obscure 'back street pub and 'settled in' for the night.  The activities for entertainment for the night at the pub was drinking and karaoke! 

Now as the night progressed and got further into our pint, the goading began for me to sing karaoke!  With numerous protests, I declined to participate - not wishing to 'make a fool' out of myself, I had only sang karaoke once before, many years ago in a faraway land!  Apparently my protest s were either unheard, or ignored as I was to learn when my name was called!  With the announcement that I would be singing, 'Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash.

With some reluctance, I made my way to retrieve the microphone given it was a bit 'late' to back out seeing as when my name was announced, it was also announced I was the yank from California.  Now this elicited a great deal of interest and excitement from the pub crowd!  As nervous as a 'cat on a hot tin roof,' I commenced to sing the words to the song as they scrolled across the video screen!  Now after the song ended, as I greeted by a number of Scots, apparently just as far into their pints as I was.  But I did not buy another pint that night, but my 'glass' was never empty!

No comments:

Post a Comment