Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Pllumber and Blue Jeans

After the ride from the airport, we arrived at the Hopkin's home for a more 'quiet' and formal visit face to face, in the living room.  This was not before breakfast!  Which Mrs. Hopkins insisted in preparing for Ed and I, assuredly, we must be famished after our flight, and apparent night of drinking!  Far be it, for me to 'refuse' food, so I sat down to enjoy a traditional Scottish breakfast!  Ah, not so different from a traditional American breakfast, that is accept for the one addition, which you don't find on an American breakfast menu!  Black [Blood]  Pudding!  To say the least, breakfast was good!  Perhaps due to the 'long' plane ride and all, but suffice to say, the only time I had, or have had black pudding is that morning!

After breakfast, we all 'retired' to the living room to visit and catch up on things!  Now while we sat visiting, myself on the couch and Mrs. Hopkins, sitting across from me in a chair, she noticed the blue jeans I had on.  A 'designer' pair of blue jeans with a purposefully placed 'worn' hole in the leg!  Seeing this Mrs. Hopkins, offered to get her needle and thread to repair them for me!  LOL Imagine trying to explain to her that the hole was intentional!  With a laugh, I declined her offer and we continued chatting about other things.  This was not before, Ed 'warned' me that she was not convinced or understood about the 'hole' in the jeans!  She was very likely to 'snatch' the jeans from the laundry to repair them.  Needless to say, when I changed, I 'stuffed' the jeans to the bottom of my bad and did not get them out again before leaving!

After chatting for a bit, it was determined by all that Ed and I should sleep for a wee bit, before we progressed to town to begin our 'tour' of the city!  Now this sounded to be a good idea, but before a nap, a shower was in order!  Ah but first, the shower head had to be installed!  The bathtub was just that ~ a bathtub with no shower head!  Now Mr. Hopkins had purchase an 'add on' shower head to be installed, but not being a mechanical person, he 'left' it for me to install!  Apparently, Ed had informed his parents previously that I had some mechanical aptitude!  So before I showered, first I was to install the shower!
Now this required drilling into ceramic tile to affix the fixture to the wall!  Somewhat reluctant giving my previous night lack of sleep, my 'immense' intake of alcohol and the mere fact that I did not want to 'screw' this up and turn it into a bigger project than it should be - I acquiesced and climbed into the bathtub to install the shower head.  Fortunately with little trouble and without cracking any ceramic tiles, I was able to successfully install the shower head!  While installing the shower head, I could not help but imagine how long this house had stood, existing without a shower!  Not to mention, the countless baths taken!  The Hopkins family is quite 'large', all 'boys,' Mrs. Hopkins, being the only female of the lot!  [Which made for pretty interesting dynamics!]

After the shower, it was time for 'my' bed, which involved the 'museum.'  Having lived there, Ed naturally had his 'old' bedroom while mine was to be one the other 'boys' had occupied when home.  Since the emptying of the 'nest,' Mr. Hopkins, a retired Glasgow, police officer, had turned the bedroom into what was affectionately referred to as the 'museum.'  
After a tour of the museum, it was time for a nap....

Before sleeping though, I removed my blue jeans, rolled them up and stuffed them into the bottom of my bag!  Having been forewarned, Ms. Hopkins was apt to seek them out and upon finding them, affix the repairs she was 'sure' they required!  Feeling sleepy, but secure that my jeans were safe, I drifted off to my slumber....for a short while.

No comments:

Post a Comment