Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Indoctrination Divison

Without a doubt, my tour in the Navy was an experience, some good and some bad.  Though I would be remiss in admitting I 'hated' the first six weeks - boot camp - without a doubt and more than once found myself thinking of ways to get out!  Another story, for another time.

For the most part, Navy life agreed with me and I adapted to it pretty well in most regards.  Through my adaption and acceptance, I fared and advanced pretty well.  It wasn't without notice and reward by others either.  In as short as time as possible, I had advance to E5, 2nd Class Petty Officer and was in line for the 'next step' when I left.  Along with the advancement an an enlisted man, I also had recommendations for becoming a warrant officer and a commissioned officer.  To say the least, my Navy 'career' had proved to be good in many ways!

The 'biggest' and most prestigious accomplishment of my 'career' had to be my appointment as the Indoctrination Division Office [I Doc].   This position was normally assigned to a junior commissioned offer, but I had been recommended and given the position. It turned out to be not only a privilege, but in many ways and indoctrination of my own in a whole 'new' world!  I Div was the place 'everyone' reported when first reporting aboard the ship and being in the shipyards meant a bevy of new reports, some 'old hands' and some still wet behind the ears!  

There are probably a 'million' stories I can tell about experiences encountered during my time as I Doc Officer, the important thin, for now is for you to know that I was, as it sets the 'stage' for some other relevant events that occurred before I 'left' the Navy. Now my appointment to I-Div officer, came about the time that I 'seriously' considering my fate and whether to 'stay or go.'  While it was a warranted assignment and one which I was and proved to be more than capable, it was also meant to be an 'enticement' to assist me in deciding whether to 'stay or go.

Probably more than providing me with the opportunity to hone and add to my organizational skills, it gave me a door to understanding and dealing with people on a level and in a way that I never had before!  Though previously I had supervised, I had never managed others and now had the opportunity to do so! 

The first 'order of business' was to 'hire' or identify my staff which would be comprised of six 'junior' [E4 - 3rd class petty officers].  An interesting and challenging task, to say the least, to find six sailors with different backgrounds and interests, to compliment my own personality and methods.  

Before we 'all' reported to our new assignments if was first time for me to take 'vacation' [leave] and 'get ready' for it all.  Before I departed on leave, compartments [rooms] were assigned to me for use in the I-div assignment - office space, staff berthing, 'student' berthing and heads [bathrooms].  With space assigned, as well as expectations and duties assigned, it was time for me to depart for my 'vacation.' and to return and play Rip Van Winkle, before assuming the assignments of I Div Officer....

No comments:

Post a Comment