Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The White Dove

Although it probably has little significance to anyone other than my mother and me, previously, I wrote about the white dove, in an earlier blog entry Sunday afternoon and the white dove, this is the continuance of that tale.

During the course of my mother's treatment, there came a time when she had to be admitted to the hospital overnight, a routine stay, for tests and such, to determine the efficacy of the treatment she had received thus far.  Though it was not something she or I relished, her stay in the hospital afforded me the opportunity for a 'night off' and some time to stop by the office to 'catch up' on somethings there.
Not wanting to leave my mother along, but knowing I needed to, at the same time I wanted to give her some reassurance that though I was not there physically, I was still with her.  As she got checked in and settled into the room, I excused myself to 'tour' the hospital, possibly seeing something I never had before in all my visits there.  

As she got settled in for the night, I wondered the halls of the hospital, seeing what I might see.  While on my venture through the halls, I came upon the gift shop and decided to wander in and see what trinkets I might find.  Something I had 'always' done was deliver gifts or trinkets to my mother and grandmother, for no reason - often times merely flowers, 'out of the blue' as a sign to let them know I cared for and appreciated them.  Usually in the way of flowers and cards, my mother and I did have one tradition.  Every year for her birthday, I would show up to her house, not with a cake but a cupcake, her preference.  That has begun when one year, I stopped by the bakery to get a cake and there none available that were suitable, so I opted instead for cupcakes.  The beginning of what became a tradition.  I deviate though, allow me to return to the main purpose of this blog entry.

Venturing into the gift shop, my eyes were met a huge 'beanie baby' display.  'Beanie babies' being a 'rage' at the time, I wondered to the display to take a closer look.  While browsing through the selection, I happened upon a 'beanie baby' in the image of a white dove.  Symbolizing to me more than what most people would associate with it, it also represent  peace, healing, and release from her current situation.  It seemed the 'perfect' gift to me for the occasion.  Upon returning to my mother's room and presenting the gift, she expressed her gratification and let me know it would 'always' be on the bedside table beside her. 

 Promptly, she placed it on the bedside stand taking care to ensure it faced the 'right way' so she could see it and it could 'see' her.  When she packed to go home from the hospital, the dove was not placed in her bag, but instead carried by her.  When she got home, she made a 'bee line' to the bedroom to place the dove on her bedside stand to ensure the dove as near and visible to her, and anyone else coming into the room.


No comments:

Post a Comment